Wednesday 12 April 2017

The Blues Kitchen Camden Restaurant Review

As a belated birthday treat my sister took me to The Blues Kitchen Camden for lunch on Sunday. This place is so well known amongst blues music lovers and I can't believe I had never been before.


The Blues Kitchen Camden 




I was greeted by the super friendly maitre die who was very accommodating. My sister was running late and we were told upon booking that tables are given a slot of 2 hours, but we were not rushed in any way and I was whisked away to the table to wait for my sister.


Drinks 


As it was so sunny I drank larger, although part way through the meal the waiter suggested I have a Big Wave which is a Hawaiian golden ale and I was grateful for the recommendation as it was a lovely floral flavour.

My sister drank a Mojito which is one of her favourites and she was impressed. The drinks service was also remarkably quick despite the restaurant being almost full which you don't often find in places that serve cocktails so this was a real plus.

Starters 


I had the goat tacos to start, the meat was so tender and beautifully smoked and my sister went for the squid which was crisp and tasty, the portion sizes were also really good, you'd definitely want to be hungry to go here!
Goat Tacos - Smoked goat meat in soft corn tortillas. Topped with chipotle & coriander mayo.

Cajun Ppopcorn Squid served with Sriracha mayo & burnt lime.

Main Course


For my main I decided to order the gumbo since it is not something I would never make for myself at home, especially since it contained ocra which I have tried and failed to cook on many occasions! The meat was slow cooked and the creamy sauce had just enough kick to it. It was a really filling dish but I managed to clean the whole plate!

New Orleans Gumbo -  smoked sausage, chicken, okra, peppers & long grain rice, served with cornbread.

My main also came with this amazing cornbread which I had not tried before, it was warm and light with a beautiful buttery flavour, something I could easily become addicted too! 



My sister had the grilled brassicas salad which looked amazing, she said it was really filling too as it wasn't just leaves but some hearty veg and seeds with a fresh zingy dressing.

Grilled Brassicas Salad (V) With sweet potato, spirulina & avocado dressing & toasted seeds 

Dessert


We were tempted by the waiters recommendation of the oreo doughnuts for a desert so we decided to share them. They come with a dipping sauce and I am finding it hard to describe how beautiful they are, for someone like me who doesn't really love sweet things it will sound strange to say they were not overpoweringly sweet but they had just the right balance to make them mouthwatering.


The atmosphere at The Blues Kitchen Camden is fantastic, the staff were very attentive without being too much and we had everything we needed, definitely 10/10 for customer service.

The music is brilliant and is not so loud that you have to scream at each other but I caught myself tapping my feet under the table throughout.


The Blues Kitchen regularly has live acts and I would dearly love to go to see a gig there since I am always on the look out for live music in London and I have heard some of their regular acts playing around London and really enjoyed them.



There were so many tasty things on the menu that I am sure we will be back to try more!


With venues in Camden, Shoreditch and Brixton there is a Blues Kitchen to suit everyone. I hope you enjoyed this review and if you are ever in these areas I would highly recommend lunch or a dinner here.

Until Next Time
Love
Lucy
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment